Unacceptable Hazardous Waste

Some types and quantities of hazardous wastes are unacceptable. Those listed below are currently beyond our capabilities. If your household contains any of these materials and you wish to dispose of them, please secure a contractor from the yellow pages under "Waste Reduction, Removal & Disposal Services" heading, or contact our Hazardous Waste Hotline at (201) 807-5825 for advice and information.
  • Unlabeled wastes or containers with unknown contents
  • Regulated medical waste (as defined by the NJAC 7:26-3A)
  • Radioactive Material
  • Explosives or ordnance materials - Contact your local Police Department
  • Containers larger than five (5) gallons
  • Non-Friable Asbestos - Click here for NJDEP-Guidance Document For Management of Asbestos 
  • Automobile Tires - Contact your local municipality or service station or click the BCUA Calendar to see currently scheduled tire collection dates
  • Computer or electronic equipment - Click the BCUA Calendar to see currently scheduled collection dates.
  • Containers with less than 1" of material or empty containers - These can go into the regular trash.
  • Alkaline Batteries - Non-rechargeable alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, and 9 volt) produced by manufacturers like Energizer and Duracell as well as less common manufacturers will no longer be accepted for recycling after January 1, 2010.  Alkaline batteries are not classified as a hazardous waste.  In 1996, the federal government banned the use of mercury in alkaline batteries.  Alkaline and heavy duty carbon and zinc batteries should be thrown out in the regular garbage.
Rechargeable Battery Recycling
  • The following are classified as rechargeable batteries: Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), nickel metal hydride (Ni-Mh), Lithium Ion (Li-ion), Nickel zinc (Ni-Zn), and small sealed lead (Pb)
  • Rechargeable batteries are found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, digital cameras, two-way radios, camcorders, and remote controlled toys.  Rechargeable batteries resemble alkaline batteries.  The label on the battery will indicate if it's rechargeable.
  • Many retailers, including hardware stores, camera shops, and home improvement centers, who sell rechargeable batteries (from cell phones, cordless phones, cameras, video cameras, etc.) also collect spent batteries for recycling at their stores, so contact local retailers to see if they participate in this program.  Go to www.call2recycle.org to learn more about rechargeable batteries and cell phones.

Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Monitors
Smoke detector companies are part of a manufacturer responsibility take back program. Click here to access United Stated Postal Service Postal Bulletin 22343 which provides guidance on whom and how to ship smoke detectors needed to be discarded.
Click here for additional disposal information for both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors.  

Motor Oil Recycling
  • Many municipalities collect motor oil for recycling,  For more information about the services offered by your municipality, click here to go to the municipality section of the Bergen County Website.
  • If your town does not accept motor oil, many service stations that perform oil changes will accept your used motor oil (possibly for a nominal fee). Please call your local service station for guidelines for the acceptance of used motor oil.
  • All Jiffy-lube stations will take up to 10 gallons of motor oil at no charge. You must bring the used motor oil in closed containers, during business hours, and take the empty containers away with you.
  • All Bridgestone and Firestone Tire and Service Centers will accept up to 2 gallons of motor oil at no charge. You must bring the used motor oil in closed containers, during business hours, and take the empty containers away with you.
  • Call Earth's 911 at 1-800-CLEANUP, or visit their website.  Earth's 911 is a public/private partnership for environmental protection.
  • The American Petroleum Institute's website, at www.recycleoil.org, also helps you find motor oil collection centers.
Computer and Electronics Recycling
The BCUA operates a NJDEP approved Computer and Electronics Recycling Depot for all Bergen County residents. All types of computer and electronic equipment are collected for recycling.

Propane Tank Disposal
Many local propane filling stations and retailers, including home improvement centers, will accept your old propane tanks for recycling (possibly for a nominal fee) or trade-in for a new tank. Contact local filling stations or retailers to see if they participate in this program

Helium Tank Disposal - Click here for helium tank disposal information

Syringe/Sharps Disposal Guide - Click here for syringe disposal information. Additional sharps information is available by clicking here.

Fluorescent Lamp Disposal - Click here for information on fluorescent lamp disposal from the NJDEP

What should I do with medications?

Click here for DEP guidelines for the proper disposal of household medication

Click here for upcoming collections.  Click here for permanent collection sites in Bergen County.